Tourist attractions in Sweden are many and very varied. From Santa Claus in the north to crayfish parties, Viking adventures, the Midnight Sun and the ubiquitous sm?sbord, this is a land of many contrasts; the tourist attractions in Sweden will not let you down. Here are 7 tourist attractions in Sweden, in no particular order, that are each well worth the visit.
1. Stockholm is the capital, and it is a great place to visit. This city will amaze you for its cleanliness and its feeling of being safe. It will amaze you for other things too. It has some wonderful museums, large peaceful parks, a nightlife that will take your breath away – literally, and architecture that sets the scene for a purely Swedish experience.
2. Forget Loch Ness in Scotland; come to Storsj?n J?land province. This huge lake has a legend to rival Loch Ness, a monster that even enjoys the protection of the law! And if you fail to spot the monster, the general area around Storsj?s still worth the visit; the scenery alone will simply astound you.
3. Inlandsbanan is the inland railway. If you are a train lover, then this is a train ride not to be missed. You can travel across the Arctic Circle, get off when you want, get back on again – it’s your choice. The 1,300 kilometer journey goes all the way up to Lappland in the north, and to Kristinehamn further south.
4. You probably associate European beaches with the Spanish Costas, or the Greek islands, but Sweden has plenty to offer too. The island of Gotland in the Baltic has some excellent beaches, and coupled with the surprisingly warm summer weather they can expect most years, this is definitely a destination for those who want to be in a northern country, but still lounge on the beach.
5. If you like travelling on water, why not take a trip on the G?Canal. You can travel southeast to northwest across the country from Gothenburg to Stockholm on an old ship. You will cross a river, eight lakes and three canals. You will also pass through 66 locks and travel, albeit briefly, on two seas. There are few journeys that can boast that degree of variety!
6. If you enjoy hiking, then this will be one of your favorite tourist attractions in Sweden; the famous hiking trail of Kungsleden. The trail snakes over 500 kilometers from Hemaven to Abisko. It is well marked out and extremely popular. There are cabins along the route of the trail, but in the holiday season these can become very popular and crowded.